The GOP Convention is now up and running. But something will be missing, something that is unprecedented in American political history.
Specifically, just about every Republican with national name-recognition is shunning the convention! As a result, poor Donald has to have his own family stand to speak for him!
Look at the astonishing list of heavy-hitter absentees…
- The most recent GOP presidential nominee, Mitt Romney.
- The second most recent nominee, John McCain.
- The two most recent Republican presidents, George W. Bush, and George H.W. Bush.
- The man most pundits last year assumed was the front runner for the nomination, former Florida governor Jeb Bush.
- Even Gov. John Kasich (as governor of Ohio, he’s the HOST, for God’s sake!) won’t find time to stop by.
For any political party, the once-every-four years convention is supposed to be the best opportunity for the party leaders to loudly extoll the virtues of their nominee. Not this time.
So we are so many staying away? What do they know that you might not?
While I sharply disagree with most of the policy positions of each no-show on the list, here’s what I do know. I know they each care deeply about America, and second, they know how government works. They know that Trump – the racist, thin-skinned, ill-informed blowhard with the worst rating on Politifact’s radar—cannot ever be entrusted with the levers of power.
Why would anyone think differently?
Thanks for caring about the truth.