Here’s what you need to know about why we need the Affordable Health Care Act, sometimes called Obamacare.
- The U.S. spends more, far more, on health care per person than any other industrialized nation.
- Despite that, as Fareed Zakia points out in his strongly pro-Obamacare article in Time magazine, “We do worse than most other countries on almost every measure of health outcomes: healthy-life expectancy, infant mortality and–crucially–patient satisfaction. Put simply, we have the most expensive, least efficient system of any rich country on the planet.”
- Republicans did nothing about this situation during all the years they were in power!
- Prior to the AHCA, insurance companies could tack on a lifetime limit of payments. That means you could be in the hospital being treated for a life-threatening disease, and you are suddenly on the hook for all medical payments. After Obamacare, that can no longer happen.
- More than 17.6 million children with pre-existing conditions can no longer be denied coverage.
- The controversial “individual mandate” that you heard about means that everyone is required to buy health insurance. (Poor people will get assistance in buying the insurance.) Right now, more than 30 million Americans don’t have that insurance, but if they go to an emergency room, they get treatment. Who pays? Everyone else! That’s exactly the kind of “free-loader” stuff that usually gets right-wingers angry, and in fact, the individual mandate was proposed years ago by the conservative Heritage Foundation, and prior to Obama, it had been proposed by many Republicans. But now that Barack wants it, they don’t! (Mitt Romney signed it into law when he was governor of Massachusetts.)
- There are many more benefits of Obamacare. Check out this summary. And check this site out to learn about the myths and facts.
Right now the Supreme Court is considering whether to overturn all or parts of the Affordable Health Care Act, and Romney says if elected he would push to kill it.
It’s a crazy situation, and it’s another reason we need Obama, and Democrats, to win in November.